The focus of this scholarship program is to reward the youth within the Arabian horse community of Region 13 who have served and promoted the Arabian horse with their energy, idealism, and leadership, providing a positive role model for others. The recipient should display dedication to their family, service to their community, school and/or church, and academic responsibility.
A total of $4,000 in scholarship money is available. One applicant might be awarded the entire $4,000.00 scholarship or a portion thereof. It is also possible for multiple applicants to each be awarded a portion of the total $4,000.00. The amount awarded to the chosen applicant(s) will be decided by the Youth Scholarship Committee. The Scholarship Committee is not obligated to award the entire $4.000.00
APPLICATION DEADLINE: June 1st of each year.
A pre-selected Scholarship Committee will determine award recipient(s) based on the merit of the applications received. An online, Zoom-type interview may be requested by the Scholarship Committee. The decision of the Scholarship Committee is final. All application information will remain confidential. All submitted materials in the application become the property of the Region 13 Scholarship Committee and will not be returned.
The recipient(s) will be notified in June. Notification will be by e-mail and a phone call , followed by a USPS mailed letter of congratulations prior to the Region 13 Championship Show. Recognition of the award winner(s) will take place during the main ring event.
• Current member of AHA through a Region 13 affiliate club
• High School senior or freshman at an accredited college, university or vocational/technical school
• Planning to or currently pursuing a profession that requires college or vocational/technical training at an accredited institution
• Involvement in Equine Activities
• Sense of direction in furthering education
• Completion of an essay
• Academic achievement and GPA
REQUIREMENTS: A NEAT and COMPLETE application must be submitted. Typed, double spaced documents are recommended.
• Three letters of recommendation written within the application year
* One from a horse person (trainer or coach) that includes comments on applicant's equine abilities and experiences
* One from a teacher or advisor
* One from any other source (e.g. employer, clergyman, etc.)
• Photocopy of high school transcript
• Photocopy of transcripts for all college and/or other post high school education completed
COMMENTS: All scholarship forms, photocopies, and letters of reference MUST be mailed in the same envelope or attached to one email and postmarked or emailed on or before June 1st. Applications and letters postmarked after that date or an incomplete application package will not be eligible for consideration.
* Scholarships will be paid in the name of the school or the school and recipient upon enrollment for the fall semester
*Prior to dispersal of funds, the recipient(s) of any part of this scholarship will be required to provide documentation of acceptance to the accredited educational institution. It will also be responsibility of the recipient to provide institutions policy for submission of scholarship funds
* Scholarship awards MUST be used in the year awarded
* Recipients are eligible for one award only
CHECKLIST: NOTE: if the application package is incomplete the applicant will not be considered.
1. Complete the application
2. Answer questions in the “Essay Questions to Answer”
3. Attach high school / college transcripts
4. Enclose a copy of the applicant's current AHA membership card
5. Enclose a clear 3”x 5” quality (300 dpi) head and shoulder photo to be used for publicity
6. Sign and date enclosed the Press Release Authorization form (green box below)
7. Submit application:
In a single E-mail attach and send all of the above to:
In one envelope USPS mail to:
Region 13 SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE
℅ Cheryl Nelson
12265 Whisper Ridge Dr.
Freeland, MI 48623
Please do not hesitate to e-mail any questions or inquire about receipt of application to Cheryl Nelson at the above e-mail address.